All about oxidised bangles
Oxidised bangles, also known as blackened or antique bangles, are a popular type of jewelry that has been in vogue for several years. These bangles have a unique look and feel that is very different from the traditional gold or silver bangles. In this article, we will discuss the various aspects of oxidized bangles, including their history, manufacturing process, types, maintenance, and how to style them.
History of Oxidised Bangles:
Oxidised bangles have been in existence for a long time. The ancient Egyptians and Greeks were known to make jewelry using oxidized metal. In India, the tradition of making oxidized jewelry dates back to the Mughal era. The Mughal emperors were fond of wearing oxidized jewelry made of gold and silver. The process of oxidizing metal was perfected by the Indian artisans over the years, and it has now become a popular technique to make jewelry.
Manufacturing Process of Oxidised Bangles:
The process of making oxidized bangles involves treating the metal with chemicals to create a blackened or antique effect. The metal used for making oxidized bangles is usually copper or brass. The metal is first cleaned and polished to remove any impurities. Then, it is coated with a chemical solution, usually a mixture of sulphur and potassium sulfide. The metal is then heated in a kiln to a temperature of about 400 degrees Celsius. This process causes a chemical reaction that blackens the surface of the metal. Once the metal cools down, it is washed and polished to remove any excess chemicals and to give it a smooth finish.
Types of Oxidised Bangles:
There are various types of oxidized bangles available in the market, each with its own unique style and design. Some of the popular types of oxidized bangles are:
- Tribal Oxidized Bangles: These bangles are made using traditional tribal designs and patterns. They are usually chunky and have a rustic look.
- Antique Oxidized Bangles: These bangles have a vintage or antique look and are often embellished with stones or beads.
- Contemporary Oxidized Bangles: These bangles have a modern and sleek look and are often used as statement pieces.
- Geometric Oxidized Bangles: These bangles have geometric shapes and designs and are popular among those who prefer a minimalist style.
Maintenance of Oxidised Bangles:
Oxidized bangles require special care to maintain their look and feel. Here are some tips to keep your oxidized bangles in good condition:
- Keep them away from water and moisture.
- Store them in a dry and cool place.
- Clean them with a soft cloth and avoid using harsh chemicals.
- Avoid wearing them while swimming or taking a bath.
- Keep them away from perfumes and other chemicals.
How to Style Oxidised Bangles:
Oxidised bangles can be styled in various ways to create a unique and fashionable look. Here are some tips on how to style oxidized bangles:
- Pair them with a traditional Indian outfit, such as a saree or lehenga, to create a classic look.
- Wear them with a western outfit, such as a denim jacket or a white shirt, to create a fusion look.
- Mix and match different types of oxidized bangles to create a layered look.
- Wear them as statement pieces with a simple outfit to create a bold and striking look.